Selon le Child Protection Act, un enfant est toute personne non mariée, de moins de 18 ans.
I. Le Child Protection Act condamne tout acte de nature sexuelle envers un enfant, passible de peine d'emprisonnement.
“Section 13 - IIl-Treatment
(1) Any person who ill-treats a child or otherwise exposes a child to harm shall commit an offence.
(2) For the purposes of this section, any person who in an advertisement exploits a child by using him in such a way as is likely to cause in him or in any child watching him reactions which are contrary to morality or detrimental to psychological development shall be deemed to expose a child to harm. [Amended 15/98]
13A. Child trafficking (1) Any person who wilfully and unlawfully recruits, transports, transfers, harbours or receives a child for the purpose of exploitation shall commit an offence and shall, on conviction, be liable to penal servitude for a term not exceeding 15 years.
Section 14 - Sexual Offences
(1) Any person who causes, incites or allows any child –
(a) to be sexually abused by him or by another person;
(b) to have access to a brothel;
(c) to engage in prostitution,
shall commit an offence.
(2) For the purposes of subsection
(1) (a) a child shall be deemed to be sexually abused where he has taken part whether as a willing or unwilling participant or observer in any act which is sexual in nature for the purposes of –
(a) another person’s gratification;
(b) any activity of pornographic, obscene or indecent nature;
(c) any other kind of exploitation by any person.
Sous peine de Rs 50 000 ou 2 ans de prison. Ou Rs 75 000 ou 8 ans de prison si l'enfant victime souffre d'un handicap mental.
Section 15- Indecent photographs of children
(1) Any person who –
(a) takes or permits to be taken or to make, any indecent photograph or pseudophotograph of a child;
(b) distributes or shows such indecent photograph or pseudo-photograph;
(c) has in his possession such indecent photograph or pseudo-photographs, with a view to it being distributed or shown by himself or any other person; or (d) publishes or causes to be published any advertisement likely to be understood as conveying that the advertiser distributes or shows such indecent photograph or pseudo-photograph, or intends to do so, shall commit an offence.
Un enfant n’est JAMAIS consentant, même s’il ne peut pas dire NON.
IMPORTANT: Certaines professions ont une obligation de rapporter toute suspicion concernant un enfant qui maltraité, négligé, abandonné ou exposé à tout danger.
La section 11 du Child Protection Act le mentionne : i) «Notwithstanding any other enactment, where a person exercising a medical or paramedical profession or a member of the staff of a school has the reason to suspect that a child he is examining or who is frequenting the school, as the case may be, has been ill-treated, neglected, abandoned or otherwise exposed to harm, he shall immediately notify the Permanent Secretary. » Ce qui revient à signaler toute suspicion d'abus en téléphonant au CDU, au 113.
II. Selon le Criminal Code (updated in 2008) any person who has sexual intercourse with a minor under the age of 16 or a mentally handicapped person, even with his consent, shall be liable to penal servitude for a term not exceeding 20 years.
Les attouchements, les fellations ou masturbations sont considérés comme des actes indécents et sont passibles de sentences d’après le Code pénal.